Sunday, April 10, 2011

ER last night :s

Yesterday evening I got my first dose of what is commonly called an allergy attack. Woke up around 10:30 in the evening due to intense itch all over my body. Initially brushing it off as a symptom of needing to take a shower and went about feeding the dogs. In a matter of minutes the itch trebled and got more intense all over my body and I finally panicked when my tongue, palms and the soles of my feet felt weird and itchy too. Went to the mirror and saw that my face was bloating up and when I looked down my arms, it was covered in hives. Lifted my shirt and pulled down my pants and it was covered all over too. Checked my breathing and thank god I still could but since this has never happened to me, always attributing my health as being made of sterner stuff, I started to really panic. Had celsetamine at home since my sister had bouts of allergic reactions before and took one, but then I got the intense case of stomach spasms. Half an hour of all that craziness when we decided to head to the ER. They gave me a shot of buscopan and monitored my skin and blood pressure. The nurse got slightly concerned because my blood pressure was very low. We stayed until past midnight and it got better and the doctor finally decided to send me home. He prescribed iterax and another med for the allergy. That's just about it. Panic and anxiety eventually subsided and I finally went to sleep.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And no idea what gave you allergies in first place? o.O

Unknown said...

And no idea what gave you allergies in first place? o.O

poeta fit, non nascitur said...

Hi Andrea!

We think it's because of dust mites so we had to vacuum and spray medicine on my bed when we got home. Haven't had the skin test yet though. I'll have to make sure I take that test soon.